- 1893 – Dr. Adoniram Judson Greeley bequeaths book collection
- 1894 – Kimball Webster, Henry O. Smith, Oswald P. Baker named as trustees
- June 20, 1894 – Greeley Public Library opens
- 8 Maple Avenue (1893)
- Central Street (1920)
Greeley Public Library (GPL)
The New Hampshire State Legislature passed an act on April 11, 1891 to promote the establishment of free public libraries throughout the state. In addition, the Legislature would provide not more than $100.00 for the expenditure of books to any town without a free public library. At the March 14, 1893 annual town meeting the vote to accept the benefits of the law was approved by Hudson. Selectmen later appointed Kimball Webster, Henry O. Smith and Oswald P. Baker as trustees.
Dr. Adoniram Judson Greeley, a native of Hudson, died September 1, 1893 and bequeathed in his will to the town 500 books from his private collection of almost three thousand books. At the annual town meeting on March 13, 1894 the bequest was accepted. However, Dr. Greeley’s heirs generously presented the entire private library to the town. From that library 1,878 volumes were selected, the state sent 100 books, 11 were purchased from sales of old books, and 35 volumes were donated by citizens. The new library started with a total of 2,024 books. In memory of the donor and the Greeley family generosity, it was decided to call the new library Greeley Public Library.
The GPL opened its doors on June 20, 1894 at the George A. Merrill residence but moved to the third floor, known as Webster’s Hall, of the Baker Brothers’ store in April of the following year due to the resignation of the librarian, Mrs. Emma B. Merrill. The library remained at this location until its closure on June 7, 1909 and the contents were moved to the new Hills Memorial Library building.
- Mrs. Emma B. Merrill, June 20, 1894-April 1895
- Miss Mary N. Webster, May 1895–February 15, 1897
- Miss Maud S. Andrews, February 1897–September 1903
- Miss Ina V. Martin, September 1903–February 1906
- Mrs. Eliza B. Leslie, February 1906-June 7, 1909